September 5-8, 2021, Balliol College, University of Oxford
Presidential Leadership: Insights
From a Time of Crisis and Change
The 16th annual Oxford Conclave will provide a unique opportunity for invited college and university presidents to learn from each other as we continue to lead institutional change in the wake of the global COVID-19 pandemic and a period of social and political upheaval. This year’s retreat will include sessions with presidential spouses, as well as conversations with leaders at the University of Oxford about their responses to the recent global challenges.
Presidents’ discussions will reflect on professional and personal insights gained from the experiences of 2020 and 2021:
- Building trust while making tough decisions.
- Communicating with clarity and confidence in the midst of uncertainty.
- Collaborating with senior leadership teams to plan and drive adaptive change.
- Caring for faculty, staff and students facing challenges in their lives outside of the college or university.
- Keeping actions aligned with values while making unforeseen operational and financial adjustments.
- Establishing a positive vision of long-term success while maintaining realistic short-term expectations.
- Attending to our personal and spiritual well-being while supporting the morale and needs of many others.
- Discovering and leveraging the learning, adaptations and innovations that can occur in a crisis.
- Reflecting on how leading through a global crisis has influenced our perspectives on our own callings and careers.